Blogging my weight loss journey.

Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Weekend

The girls are off school and I'm off work on Monday so we are headed out in the morning on our 5th annual trip to waterpark hotel about 90 minutes from here.    The weekend always involves swimming (although I use that word losely since I'll rotate my time between floating in the lazy river and the hottub) and eating.    And eating is a big part.   We go with my cousin and her two daughters and since it is our little mini vacation, everyone brings their favorite snack foods and we have a jolly ole time.    Granted, one plan might be to change traditions and not focus so much of the weekend around eating but hey, this is real life and that's not likely to happen.  And this is our only trip out of town during a LONG winter so it's not like it is a regular thing we do.    So I've been planning for three weeks what my 'special' treats will be.   There are these cookies that Walmart puts out at Valentine's Day that are either a shortbread or a sugar cookie with the sugar sprinkles and they just melt in your mouth.   My aunt showed them to me about 5 years ago and every year since then, my family has been inhaling quite a few bags between the last week of January and the middle of February.  I literally had an emotional reaction when I saw them on the shelf this year.   I dreamed about eating those damn cookies.  The more I resisted them, the more I thought about them.    I knew I couldn't buy them or I'd eat the whole bag.  Then I had my bright idea that I'd buy them and bring them on our weekend away.  I knew I'd be eating at least some junk food.  Might as well be the thing I craved the most.  So I bought them and they have been sitting in my room with the new Valentine pjs and swimsuits for the girls for the last *three* weeks!   There has been several times that I've been really tempted to open the bag - afterall, can't I just get another one? - but I stuck to it.  Not sure if it's a big test of willpower or just some stupid mind game I'm playing with myself but I'm kind of proud that I didn't open the bag.   And truth be told, when I packed our food bag today, the emotional tug those cookies had on me a few weeks ago has pretty much disappear.  The excitement of getting to eat them is gone.   Hmmm... wonder if there is a lesson to be learned there?!?   The other things I've been craving are licorice which is my all-time favorite candy (take that over chocolate any day) and doritos.   So the food is packed and ready to go along with a case of water and two healthy choice meals so we'll see how it goes.  One thing I know for sure is that if there are extra cookies, licorice and doritos, they will NOT be making the trip back home!   We usually have extras because even though I buy our favorites, we seem to like what my cousin brings better!  LOL.  

Since we'll be gone Monday morning, I'm going to do my official weigh in tomorrow before we leave.   The last two days have shown a small loss so hopefully that still shows tomorrow.  

Hope everyone that reads this is having a good weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I was to the gym this morning with my trainer friend and we were talking about lasting weight loss. She said...unless people learn to eat normally, they will never keep the weight off.

    Face it. We live in American and that food is everywhere. To think you would never eat it again is unrealistic. I think all is fine in moderation.

    I love your honesty! This is life. People eat cookies in the real world.

    Enjoy your trip and your cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you not giving in to the cookies! I agree with Lisa's post. If we ALWAYS restrict ourselves, it only makes the craving/temptation that much stronger. So treat yourself now and again......but ONLY now and again! lol
    Have a wonderful time on your trip!!!

    ReplyDelete