Blogging my weight loss journey.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Oh it hurts so good!

I woke up with proof that I did indeed exercise yesterday! A whole bunch of new areas of pain in my body. But unlike my usual and somewhat random foot, knee and back pain, this pain was in places I knew I worked yesterday and it felt GOOD! In additional to the Biggest Loser DVD and a few minutes on the Wii Fit, I also rode for 5 miles on my stationary bike last night while watching Biggest Loser. It's a great start.

My girls LOVE tacos. Well their version of it anyway - just meat and cheese. So last night I tried something new and made ground turkey breast meat instead of ground beef. Also, used whole wheat tortillas and low-fat mexican cheese. While I was cooking the meat, my older daughter asked what was wrong with it cause it was so light. Thankfully though, my VERY picky daughters loved it and after their first two tacos with 'regular' hard shells (didn't want to make too many adjustment too quick), they asked for a soft shell one. Wasn't sure how the whole wheat tortillas would go over (I was having a hard time with it myself) but they didn't make a single comment about it. It turned out to be a great meal (both physically and socially) and since the meals both of my girls will eat is pretty limited, I think we'll be having this version of tacos often. And who knows, maybe someday I'll be able to sneak a little lettuce in there for them too. Any time I can get my girls to eat something healthy (or just healthier!) is a HUGE victory for me. Baby steps.

Last week, I wrote about my older daughter who doesn't eat ANY fruits or vegetables having a smoothie. It was made of just strawberries, blueberries and some sugar free orange drink mix. Now seriously, if a put one blueberry and one strawberry on her plate she might try to nibble on it but most likely she'd literally make herself physically sick. So having her 'drink' a cup of strawberries and a 1/2 cup of blueberries was HUGE. So I have decided to make smoothies for us every day after school. Yesterday, I made a smoothie with orange juice and banana and a 1/2 cup of fat free yogurt and she LOVED it. And with it, she had some of the mini chocolate rice cakes. What a huge improvement over the after school snacks of her past. She wants a strawberry and kiwi and banana one today so we'll see how that goes. My younger daughter took a tiny bite of yesterday's smoothie and wasn't interested in it all. Not as worried about her though as she does eat applesauce (no sugar added kind) and baby carrots every day so at least she's getting something in the area of fruits and vegetables. Good enough for now. Again... baby steps.

Plans for today:
5 miles on the bike.
Find my favorite Walk Away the Pounds DVDs and do one.
Play cards with friends at my mom's tonight and NOT binge on snacks
After school strawberry-banana-kiwi smoothie.
Journame my food and stay within WW points.

Feeling good today!!

4 comments:

  1. I use ground turkey breast in everything now. Chili, tacos. I've used the turkey Italian sausage too. Little adjustments like that will add up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, small steps add up. Glad the little one enjoyed the turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog. I love that you're doing this with your girls. You must be the best mom in the world. What you're teaching them now will help them for the rest of their. Good job super mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you so much for the comment on my blog! I just read your post and I AM fixing tacos tonight with turkey meat as well......lol. I already had everything set out. You can do it, and you will find that the blog community is AMAZING!!! Im following your blog now and will be by to encourage and cheer you on!

    ReplyDelete